director, individual giving
The ideal candidate will exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, work well with many types people (staff, volunteers, donors), have strong written and verbal communications, and be an experienced project manager. They should be able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion; work under pressure while handling a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion; and enjoy the opportunities and challenges of working within a small nonprofit environment that is mission-driven and impact oriented. Lastly, the ideal candidate will be interested in learning and growing with the organization.
The Director of Individual Giving reports to the Executive Director and collaborates with the Board of Directors. With staff support and assistance, the director will:
• Provide ongoing management and implementation of a comprehensive development plan including: Individual giving, special events, and corporate support;
- Implement strategies designed to expands and diversify the donor base to secure funding for new and existing initiatives;
• Build support systems and activate the identification, solicitation, and stewardship of new and existing donors;
• Work closely with and support the Board of Directors as they take on a more active fundraising role;
• Work with grant writer to research and solicit new funding sources in the U.S. and abroad through a prospect list that will include, but not be limited to corporations, individuals and government agencies;
• Research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position RAIN ahead of major funding changes or trends;
• Provide and present regular reports and statistical analysis on fundraising efforts to Executive Director and Board of Directors.
• Provide leadership for staff, volunteers and donors when the Executive Director is out of country;
• Provide leadership to build collaborative relationships crucial to the success of the mission;
• Assist in the recruitment and supervision of volunteers;
• Assist Executive Director on reviewing timesheets and staff evaluations for US offices.
• Bachelor’s degree with 5-7 years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization;
• Demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources with an international component);
• Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time;
• Direct experience working with and managing volunteers, volunteer committees and/or board members;
• Flexible and adaptable style necessary is a small and growing organization;
• Professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects;
• Demonstrated proactive approach to problem solving with strong decision making capability;
• Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan;
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships;
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail;
• High energy and passion for RAIN’s mission.
Benefits: Health insurance allowance and vacation for full-time employees. Flexible time and training opportunities. Salary: $45,000 – 55,000. This is a full time position in the Portsmouth NH office.
To Apply: Send email with CV, cover letter and three references to Julia D’Orazio at Julia@rain4sahara.org. No phone calls, please.